Author Interview-Judy Penz Sheluk

Tell me about your latest book.
Skeletons in the Attic is the first book in my Marketville Mystery series, which I envision as a trilogy. In the first book, Calamity (Callie) Barnstable inherits a house in the commuter town of Marketville from her father, who died in an “unfortunate occupational accident.” The catch? She didn’t know the house existed and there’s a condition: she must move into the house for the period of one year and find out who murdered her mother, a woman Callie believed had left, voluntarily, 30 years before, when Callie was just six years old. It’s what I would call a suspenseful amateur sleuth mystery.

What’s next for you?
I’m currently working on the sequel to Skeletons, as well as the sequel to The Hanged Man’s Noose, the first book in my Glass Dolphin mystery series.

Who are your writing role models?
Not sure I have a role model, exactly, but there are a lot of authors I read and admire. For example, Sue Grafton is a wonderful example of a prolific author who has improved with every book. Read A is for Alibi (a fine read) and then X (simply wonderful) and you’ll see how she has grown. I’ve read and loved every one of her books. John Sanford’s Prey series is a great example of how a character can grow and age over a series. And nobody paces a story as well as Sanford.
How do you balance your day-to-day commitments with your writing life?
Who said I could balance it? In all seriousness, it can get a bit crazy. For a while there my day jobs included freelance writing magazine articles, editing two magazines, plus writing fiction. I’m gradually evolving to just fiction writing and one day job. It’s tough, because I love writing fiction, but I also enjoy eating.
What are your other passions outside of writing?
I belong to two golf leagues. I’m not particularly good, but I am passionate. Unfortunately, I live north of Toronto, Canada, so our season is May through September. If you’re lucky, there are some days in October. But I usually put my clubs away October 1st.
I also enjoy running. I’ve done some marathons and half marathons, but lately I’ve been happy to run three to five miles 3 or 4 times a week. I’m dreadfully slow, but it’s about clearing the mind.
I have a golden retriever, Gibbs, who I enjoy walking the trails with. Basically, I love to be outside, though I prefer spring/summer/fall to winter!
Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
I have a few short stories published in anthologies, and two self-published collections. If you enjoy short fiction, they’re all available on Amazon
I’m on the volunteer for Bouchercon 2017 in Toronto. Bouchercon is a mystery readers/writers conference that moves to a different city each year. In 2017, it’s Toronto. October is a nice time in Toronto. The weather is usually decent, without being too hot or too cold, and we have all sorts of cool things planned. Check it out at http://bouchercon2017.com.
Last, but not least, I’ve signed a contract to release Skeletons in the Attic in audiobook format. I’m not sure of the release date, so stay tuned!
Bio
Judy Penz Sheluk’s debut mystery novel, The Hanged Man’s Noose (Barking Rain Press), was published in July 2015. Skeletons in the Attic (Imajin Books), the first book in her Marketville Mystery Series, was published in August 2016.
Judy’s short crime fiction appears in World Enough and Crime, The Whole She-Bang 2, The Whole She-Bang 3, Flash and Bang and Live Free or Tri.
Judy is a member of Sisters in Crime, Crime Writers of Canada, International Thriller Writers and the Short Mystery Fiction Society.

Find Judy on her website/blog  where she interviews other authors and blogs about the writing life. You can also find Judy on Facebook (facebook.com/JudyPenzSheluk) and Twitter (@JudyPenzSheluk) and on her Amazon author page,

Popular posts from this blog

Read 'Em & Eat-Mesquite Turkey Quesadillas

Moving On

Author Interview Monique McDonnell