Of Wynn & Romance

“The heart of the romantic literary tradition is providing audiences with a world that is better than what is real—an idyllic world.”  Steve Wynn

Recently, I had the good fortune to spend the night at one of Mr. Wynn’s resorts and I have to say the man knows a thing or two about idyllic settings.  The lobby of Wynn Las Vegas is a floral wonderland of whimsy.  Starting the morning with apricot brioche French toast in a sunlit atrium surrounded by lush turrets of fruit and succulents sure beats the usual cold cereal routine.  And yes, there was an impressive array of dry cereals available for those who can’t bear to be parted from their breakfast bran.
The Buffet  at Wynn Las Vegas


And while I thoroughly enjoyed the lush surroundings, I disagree with
Wynn’s view of romantic literature.  Don’t get me wrong I like a good flight of fancy as much as the next girl. But the romances that have most stirred my heart were grounded in reality. Even Cinderella went from rags to riches. Would her story have been as beloved if she simply “traded up”?


Maybe a true romantic is someone who believes a happy ending can reached by anyone who is willing to put in the hard work to get there.


Popular posts from this blog

Read 'Em & Eat-Mesquite Turkey Quesadillas

Moving On

Author Interview Monique McDonnell