Saturday, September 3, 2011

Author Interview-Regina Duke


I had the good fortune to meet Regina Duke at a gathering of local romance writers and I’m thrilled to have her as a guest today. Regina Duke also writes dog books as Linda White.
What inspired you to become a writer?
As a child I read constantly. I have a memory dating back before kindergarten of copying the print off a page onto a piece of paper. I did not know what the page said at that time, but I felt compelled to write those symbols on paper. I was writing!
My first trip to the library at five years old was memorable because they would only allow us to check out four children’s books at a time, and I read all four in the car on the way home. There were never enough stories! So I began writing my own as soon as I had access to pens and paper. I shared with girl friends at school. Ironically, although my writing skills always earned As in school, my male English teachers never enjoyed my creative efforts! Not masculine enough, I guess.
Who are your favorite romance characters (besides your own?)
Wow, there are so many! But I love Varene in Cate Rowan’s Kismet’s Kiss, and I want to -be- the kickass heroine in Sandra Edwards’ Staked.
Tell me what inspired this story.
The Woof in the Wedding Plans is about my romance characters Terri and Russ after they return from their adventure at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. They fell in love while Russ was saving Terri’s life, but now it’s October and they have to deal with matters closer to home. I love my characters and it’s very difficult to drop them after writing about their romance. So I was inspired to spend more time with Terri and Russ and see if they could make a go of things in the real world, away from the Canyon.
Since dogs are an inspiration for much of my life, I weave them into my stories as well. Terri and Russ are dog people. I wanted to follow them beyond the original romance and see what happens in their lives as they head toward marriage.
How do you balance your day-to-day commitments with your writing life?
I’m giving away my age here, but I am retired from my “day job.” My current commitments involve dog training, dog shows, and writing in different genres. I have gone “indie” as they say, after spending decades submitting manuscripts to the gatekeepers of the publishing houses. I kept getting wonderful rejection letters, but my work never fit anyone’s “line.”
I get up in the morning and write or edit or do my email and marketing. Evenings are spent in dog classes. And believe me, almost every canine scenario in my stories has happened to me or someone I know!
Now that I’ve said that, I realize that I am finally living the life I dreamed of living. I am writing and sharing my stories, and I am playing with my dogs and my friends. Happy camper!
Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
I’m working hard and fast to make my other books available and to write new ones. I hope that those who enjoy my characters and my style will check back periodically and see what other worlds I’m playing in at the moment.
Find out more about Regina at the following links:
Regina Duke’s The Woof in the Wedding Plans, www.amzn.com/B005JSPBV6
Regina Duke’s North Rim Delight, www.amzn.com/B0050Q57SY
Linda White’s Loving the Sensitive Dog, http://www.amzn.com/B0055KXLJW
www.lindalouwrites.com
Book blurb:
Wedding plans are well along, but Terri hates the plans and hates the planner! She has adopted a German shepherd, but he thinks he belongs to Russ, her future husband, and Russ’s two shepherds are not happy about it. Although Russ is the man of Terri’s dreams, her future father-in-law is turning into the man of her nightmares. Her job is also in danger. And now a phone call has thrown her life into turmoil. Something has happened to Russ!
Come along for the ride as Terri tries to salvage her marriage plans and save her man!

25 comments:

  1. Love the title - "Woof in..." I think you have a good thing going with the dog and romance mix. People love their dogs. (I know some who love their dogs more than their families.) Good luck with your releases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carly!
    Thanks for the compliment on my title. It just came to me!
    And yes, people do love their dogs. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, just a note about my "handle" nsandik.... that's the only one that worked with Blogspot! Sorry for the confusion. It's really me, Regina. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Regina,
    So glad to have you here today. I agree with Carly--great title. And I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book looks great, and I love the cover. Congrats on all your success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Regina,

    Wonderful interview. I love animals in books, mostly because I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't own an animal of some kind. Great title BTW.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mariposa, thank you so much for the opportunity to share my story. :-) I owe the great cover to Sandra Edwards. She is so talented! Her books are great fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, Regina. Thanks for sharing today. Any story with a animal as one of the characters is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julianne, thank you! I owe so much to my mentors, Cate Rowan and Sandra Edwards who have answered every question in the world for me. LOL! It's so much fun to find new readers.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I love your comment about being suspicious of those who don't have animals. :-) My dogs and I are part of a local group that visits nursing homes because many residents love animals, too, but cannot have them there. Many in our group go regularly. I am only able to go a few times a year. But it's a great way to make people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your book looks like so much fun! I just LOVE the cover! Congrats and keep up the great work. I enjoyed learning more about you...

    ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jerrie, me, too! I love the romances by Laurien Berenson, for example, and the mysteries told from the dog's point of view (male author, name escapes me at the moment, darn). And I enjoy adding humor to my books. Dogs and other pets are the perfect opportunity for that! :-)

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Caroline. :-)
    I am enjoying myself more than I can say. And my mind is buzzing with new stories about Terri and Russ, even while I'm working on the next romance. I'm also preparing my paranormal for publication. And yes, there is a dog in my paranormal. LOL!

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a dog lover (and animal lover), I say 'here here' to having dogs in books!

    Congratulations on your self-publishing adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Kathy! Did I tell you how much I admire your website? It is absolutely a treat for the senses! So well done. I just hung out there and played, listening to the musical refrain, the flashing lights. :-)

    Good job!

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Regina~
    So glad you're "living your dream!" I hope to join you very, very soon in that regard.
    Your book sounds like a totally cute read. Here's to awesome sales!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Lynda! Great to see you here!
    Thanks for the good wishes. I can't wait to see your books go on sale. I have fun reading your excerpts. :-)

    I confess, this guest blogging is a lot of fun!

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, love your cover! Sounds like a terrific read. I put a dog in every one of my stories. I think it really adds a special element!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Jannine!
    I love books with dogs in them, too. :-)
    Today the boys (Buster the Wonder Dog and Dar-Dar Superstar) are going to tricks class. Buster is learning to ride a skateboard, and Darby is "practicing the piano." LOL!

    I love memorializing my friends' dogs in my stories, as well. (With their permission, of course.) Alex the smooth fox terrier who shows up in The Woof in the Wedding Plans was inspired by a real Alex who passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 17. Great dog. :-)

    I was so flattered a while back when a reader asked me where Terri, my vet tech, was working. They wanted to take their dog to that vet's office. How thrilling to have a character feel that real to a reader!

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  20. A note from Regina: I'm going to take the dogs to class, but I will be back in a couple of hours. As soon as I return, I will respond to any and all new posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed the interview, Regina. What's your favorite breed of dog? We have a 200 pound English Mastiff! He's a big lug - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Carol! Sorry you had to wait for an answer. Just got back from dog class, and it took me longer than I expected because I had to stay and put a Kindle app on the trainer's computer. LOL! I consider that a public service. :-)

    I have papillons and a small bi-black sheltie right now, but a favorite breed? Hard to say. I loved my Lab, my shepherd, my whippet, my boxer, and just about any dog my friends have. :-) Mastiff? Wow! What a hunk of love. I just trained a 95 pound mastiff for a woman in town a few months ago. But 200? That's a big lug, indeed! :-)

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Regina,

    I too love my dog - and seeing them in stories. I have an ex-racing greyhound and they seem to find a way into my stories too : ) I love that you visit retirement homes - I'm the Area Coordinator for Greyhounds As Pets, and this is something we're going to be doing from this month too. The dogs love the fussing and are so tall, the residents don't have to bend over to pat them. At the moment, my Jazzy is lying down at my feet, where she'd be for the rest of the day if she had her way! For former athletes, they're not ones for excercise! : )
    I'm going to check out your books now - see you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, LaVerne!
    So nice of you to stop by and comment. Oh, greyhounds are wonderful dogs! I was thinking of adopting a pair, but realized I had to downsize. When my Lab passed away, I was at the point where I could not lift her in an emergency. So sad. And yet, such a blessing in disguise because now I have Buster and Darby and Gracie.

    I want to check out your stories now, too! :-)

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a little late to the party, lol. Love your interview, Regina. I'm a dog lover, too. Congrats on living your dream!

    ReplyDelete