Saturday, September 5, 2015

Author Interview-Vicki Batman


What inspired you to become a writer?
After my son was born, Handsome and I were shopping in a Half Price bookstore and I told him I was looking for Dick Francis mysteries. He asked why I liked them so, and I blurted out, “Because I wish I could write like him.” But I didn’t try to write for a long time. A friend prompted me to do so. My mind had really expanded in writing and I love it!

Who are your favorite romance characters (besides your own?)
I’ve always been drawn to curious heroines, particularly those in mysteries. I cut my teeth on Nancy and Trixie. Oh how I wanted to be them and have their adventures. As a teenager, my mom lent me her Emilie Loring romances. The women where strong and looked for someone to match them. They were willing to try new things and go new places. Eventually, I discovered stories by Mary Stewart who weaved intriguing suspense into her romances.

Tell me what inspired this story. (see question 1) My friend suggested writing the opening paragraph of a book using the word window. I had nothing and she let me off the hook, saying to go home and email something in a few days. I did. Like eight chapters.
Not long before the prompt, I’d received a ticket and since my car was old, the windows rolled down. And that is what kicked off my story.
What is one of your favorite romantic locales? You know, romance isn’t about locale for me. It’s about who I’m with and that’s Handsome. If we can laugh and share and say silly giggly stuff or chat about what’s important, I’m good.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
Here’s a bit from my romantic comedy mystery, Temporarily Employed:
No frisking and no arrests were--so far, in my book--a good thing. As Sarah Anne’s older brother, I found it easy to eliminate him from the stalker, murderer, and rapist categories. The something in the truck line sounded similar to approaches used in past dating experiences. For instance:
“Want to come up and look at my etchings?”
Translated: A roll in the hay.
Or the ever popular “Would you like to meet Mr. Lizard?”
Translated: Mr. Wiggly Worm.
“How about coming to my place for a drink?”
Translated: To ply me with multiple drinks and the requisite roll in the hay.
I hadn’t fallen for those then and wasn’t going to be a sucker now.
He stuck his hands on his hip and said, “I know what you’re thinking. I’m not a stalker, murderer, or rapist." 
Apparently, he could read minds.
"Just a minute." I closed the door partially to release the chain, then opened it. “Why can’t you just tell me whatever it is?”
“No. I want to show you---”
“Not a Picasso?” I asked.
“No.”
“Not an iguana?”
A perplexed expression crossed his face. “A what?”
“Not your pet worm?”
“What pet worm?”
“Not---”

        “Look, I don’t know what you’re thinking. The only worms I know about are for fishing.”

Find Vicki Batman at: http://vickibatman.blogspot.com
Find Temporarily Employed at: Amazon

24 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki,
    I also fell in love with romantic suspense reading Mary Stewart. Thanks for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mariposa! My all time fav is Madam, Will You Talk? I can't imagine why it isn't a movie. Has everything in it--romance, tragedy, child with dog, desperate hero, bad dudes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki!
    Oh yes, I too cut my teeth on Nancy, Trixie! Then I started reading everything in the house, including Agatha Christie, my sister's HQ's, and I discovered Mary Stuart all by myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kathryn! I so wanted to be Nancy and Trixie--mostly because Trixie had brothers and I had those stinkin' sisters. LOL. I did read Agatha, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reading tastes moved from Nancy to Agatha Christie to romances, and now I read everything. It's all about the characters and how much I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sheila! I agree. And sometimes, the writing. When I have to find a dictionary... well, that takes away from the writing. I read all kinds of things, but mostly romance and mystery cause I'm an HEA girl. Hugs!

      Delete
  6. It's always wonderful to learn more about a friend. I grew up with the Bobsey Twins and loved the non-fiction children's books about strong women. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa! I read the Bobsey Twins too. There was one set on Sanibel Island and I always want to go. Several years ago, Handsome did take me. Way cool! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Worms are associated with something else besides fishing???? (smile). Great post, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela! I had so much fun writing that passage. lol

      Delete
  8. Your book sounds great Vicki, adding it to my TBR pile :) On a side note I just have to add that it's so great to hear of couples still in love, really in love, after many years together. What you have is rare, cherish it.
    Jacquie biggar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jacquie! Thank you so much. Well, today, he's kinda grumpy; so I'm off doing my own thing. Sometimes, you gotta.

      Delete
  9. I love your character in this book. I'll definitely add it to my TBR pile. My dad used to love Dick Francis so I read nearly all of them. And I used to love Mary Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, 20Pat! Thank you so much. Hattie is fun and funny and our hero has a lot to learn about women. lol And life. Every so often, I sit down and reread Mary Stewart's book. I just love them so. Thank you for posting.

      Delete
  10. Love the excerpt! I'm a huge Dick Francis fan too. Great interview. Good luck with the release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nicci! Since we are such big Dick Francis fans...have you read the ones Felix is writing? I like them too, but some friends think they aren't the same. Of course, they aren't. lol

      Delete
  11. Who knew other people read Trixie Belden? I moved from her and Nancy to Agatha and still love Agatha. Good luck with the book. I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beverley! We might have to have a Trixie fan club??? Thank you. The next one is Temporarily Insane. I kill off auditors. LOLOLOL

      Delete
  12. Oh, my, did you all mention Trixie Belden? I so enjoyed reader her books. Vicki, I love hearing how other authors are inspired by their favorite writers. Best of luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barbara! And you did hear mention of Trixie. Wasn't she great? I might have to reread her books now that we've all talked about them. Hugs! And thank you.

      Delete
  13. Your post and replies brought back a lot of memories: Nancy Drew, the Bobbsey Twins, Mary Stewart. Although there was not nearly as many books for young people available back then, there were clearly some innovative ones that influenced a lot of people. Best wishes on you book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! I wanted to let you know that I didn't forget you. I tried through the phone, but it didn't come through. I remember transitioning from Trixie and Nancy to adult books. No young adult. I also think rereading and rereading them made me look at more details like plot and character development although I didn't know that. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. What a great interview. I like what you call your husband. Mine is called Klown, because that's what he is. :) He is a retired Ringling clown and still does some clowning and children's performing (think Santa).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Susabelle! It all started with him calling me Beautiful Wife and sometimes, I still get called Beautiful, but mostly, hon. lol. So I called him Handsome Hubby, but shortened it to Handsome. He's so embarrassed. I like KLOWN! And how wonderful he had such a cool job. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete