Author Interview-Vicki Batman


What inspired you to become a writer?
After my son was born, Handsome and I were shopping in a Half Price bookstore and I told him I was looking for Dick Francis mysteries. He asked why I liked them so, and I blurted out, “Because I wish I could write like him.” But I didn’t try to write for a long time. A friend prompted me to do so. My mind had really expanded in writing and I love it!

Who are your favorite romance characters (besides your own?)
I’ve always been drawn to curious heroines, particularly those in mysteries. I cut my teeth on Nancy and Trixie. Oh how I wanted to be them and have their adventures. As a teenager, my mom lent me her Emilie Loring romances. The women where strong and looked for someone to match them. They were willing to try new things and go new places. Eventually, I discovered stories by Mary Stewart who weaved intriguing suspense into her romances.

Tell me what inspired this story. (see question 1) My friend suggested writing the opening paragraph of a book using the word window. I had nothing and she let me off the hook, saying to go home and email something in a few days. I did. Like eight chapters.
Not long before the prompt, I’d received a ticket and since my car was old, the windows rolled down. And that is what kicked off my story.
What is one of your favorite romantic locales? You know, romance isn’t about locale for me. It’s about who I’m with and that’s Handsome. If we can laugh and share and say silly giggly stuff or chat about what’s important, I’m good.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
Here’s a bit from my romantic comedy mystery, Temporarily Employed:
No frisking and no arrests were--so far, in my book--a good thing. As Sarah Anne’s older brother, I found it easy to eliminate him from the stalker, murderer, and rapist categories. The something in the truck line sounded similar to approaches used in past dating experiences. For instance:
“Want to come up and look at my etchings?”
Translated: A roll in the hay.
Or the ever popular “Would you like to meet Mr. Lizard?”
Translated: Mr. Wiggly Worm.
“How about coming to my place for a drink?”
Translated: To ply me with multiple drinks and the requisite roll in the hay.
I hadn’t fallen for those then and wasn’t going to be a sucker now.
He stuck his hands on his hip and said, “I know what you’re thinking. I’m not a stalker, murderer, or rapist." 
Apparently, he could read minds.
"Just a minute." I closed the door partially to release the chain, then opened it. “Why can’t you just tell me whatever it is?”
“No. I want to show you---”
“Not a Picasso?” I asked.
“No.”
“Not an iguana?”
A perplexed expression crossed his face. “A what?”
“Not your pet worm?”
“What pet worm?”
“Not---”

        “Look, I don’t know what you’re thinking. The only worms I know about are for fishing.”

Find Vicki Batman at: http://vickibatman.blogspot.com
Find Temporarily Employed at: Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Read 'Em & Eat-Mesquite Turkey Quesadillas

Moving On

Author Interview Monique McDonnell