Author Interview-Lyz Kelley


Riches to rags.  A redemption story.

From award-winning author Lyz Kelley comes this heartwarming romance about love, acceptance, and the power of redemption.

After her father is convicted of a crime, Rachelle wants nothing more than to rebuild her life and reputation. The last thing she expects is help from a super-sexy video gamer who's come to her small mountain town looking for inspiration.

But when Jacob asks Rachelle to redesign his vacation home, she has no idea how far she'll fall.

Can he provide her with a soft place to land while she discovers there’s truly no place like home?
  
What inspired you to become a writer?
When I was eight, I began writing a story, first in my head, then later in my diary.


The world I dreamed about was big and complex—filled with exotic creatures and brave women and strong heroes. When I turned 40, I tried to translate the story I’d lived with all those years to the page…but couldn’t.

So I sought help. Romance Writers of America was the only writing group that said, “Come on in. We’ll help.”

So, I started exploring the craft of writing. One day, I will write about that intensely, complicated world in my head.

Who are your favorite romance characters (besides your own?)
Wow. That’s a toughie. I’ll go back to 1989 and a book that still sits on my keeper shelf.

A Kingdom of Dreams by  Judith McNaught, one of my all-time favorite authors.

The book is about Jennifer Merrick, a Scottish lass, who has been abducted by the Duke of Claymore, a warrior known as “The Wolf.” 

In this book, Jennifer is bold and fragile and defiant, and I couldn’t help but be drawn in by her pride, passion and overwhelming love for those around her. She battles the Duke, in a furious test of wills. The book is indeed a classic, and one I’ve read many times.

If you haven’t read a Judith McNaught book, either one of her historical or contemporary novels, please pick up one of her books today. She’s a fantastic writer.

Tell me what inspired this story.
Atonement was a book I didn’t want to write.

How could I write a romance book about a heroine that has been a total bitch to everyone in town?  Who would love her?  But, I fought against this false idea, because I believe true love heals.

Thus, is why I have the tag line: “In the heart of honor lies a healing love.”  I write about everyday heroes who can see past the hurt and pain and see the essence of a person.

As I pondered over Rachelle, one early morning as I lay in bed, her story came to me in a rolling, movie picture.

Rachelle isn’t a bad person—not really—she’s troubled.  She’s lost everything and now gets to rebuild her life, one she’s always wanted.

I paired Rachelle with Jacob, a strong and patient man, a man who would take his time to let her find her footing. Their story bloomed from there.

What is one of your favorite romantic locales?
That would have to be Red Rocks.

Red Rocks Amphitheatre combines awe-inspiring scenery, with a natural acoustic sound, and is surrounded by 868-acres of parkland.

A couple could spend the day walking the park trails, tailgating with friends before a concert, watch the sunset over Denver, or meditate in one of the geologic wonders of the world. 

The 300-foot sandstone monolithic walls for the Red Rocks are amazing to see, and most likely the reason artists from all over the world come to play in the theatre. Get a glimpse of the place by clicking the link below.



Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers? 
I write about everyday heroes, for a reason. 

I believe each one of us is a hero. Whether it is opening a door for a mother struggling with a carriage, or taking the cap off of a medicine bottle for a person with acute arthritis or supporting an author.

There is a whole tribe of women who have joined my Kelley’s Heroes team. These awesome women help me choose covers for my books, vet graphics I create for ads, read early copies of my work, provide honest feedback, and push me to become the writer I strive to be.

Most importantly, this group makes me laugh, and pulls me back from the cliff’s edge when something terrible happens. They provide me perspective, and for that reason alone, I adore and celebrate each individual, and owe them my sincere appreciation.

If you love to read, please consider joining your favorite author's support team.

There is nothing more empowering than women supporting women.

To learn more about Lyz, check out the following links:

Popular posts from this blog

Read 'Em & Eat-Mesquite Turkey Quesadillas

Moving On

Author Interview Monique McDonnell