Author Interview-Kellie Coates Gilbert


Kellie Coates Gilbert is one of the amazing writers that I met at the 20 Books to 50K conference in Las Vegas last year. She is as warm and engaging in person as she is online. I’m thrilled to have her as a guest today.

Tender, funny, bittersweet, and wonderfully moving, Sisters celebrates the joys and heartaches that can only be shared by three sisters living in the mountain resort known as Sun Valley, the mistakes made in the name of love and the healing power of new beginnings.

Kellie Coates Gilbert has won readers’ hearts with her compelling and highly emotional stories about women and the relationships that define their lives. A former legal investigator, she is especially known for keeping readers turning pages and creating nuanced characters who seem real.
In addition to garnering hundreds of five-star reader reviews on Amazon and other retail sites, Kellie has been described by RT Book Reviews as a “deft, crisp storyteller.” Her books were featured as Barnes & Noble Top Shelf Picks and were included on Library Journal’s Best Book List of 2014.
Born and raised near Sun Valley, Idaho, Kellie now lives with her husband of over thirty-five years in Dallas, where she spends most days by her pool drinking sweet tea and writing the stories of her heart.

What inspired you to become a writer?
I barely remember a time when I didn’t have a book in my hand. My tiny hometown of Carey, Idaho had no library, no bookstore. The bi-weekly bookmobile provided the only avenue to books . . . that, and my Gram, who spent a lot of her Social Security checks on books for her granddaughter with an insatiable appetite for stories.

Tell me what inspired this story.
I grew up on a sheep ranch in southern Idaho, a business my family had been in for generations, never dreaming I’d ever see my own name on a novel. I left home to attend Boise State University and spent most of my adult years pursuing a sensible legal career, raising two boys, and learning to be happily married.
But God heard the quiet prayers of a woman who dared to dream big. Today, I am living my fantasy. I live in Dallas with my husband. I work from home, writing novels. Often by the pool.
Can life get any better?

Who are your favorite romance characters (besides your own?)
I adored Noah Calhoun and Allie Hamilton in The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Allie was feisty and a risk-taker, Noah had incredible heart and was willing to go after the woman he loved.

I grew up on a sheep ranch near Sun Valley, Idaho and had always wanted to set a series in that beautiful area where celebrities and snow-lovers go to play. Sun Valley was the first ski resort in America and was the playground for many early celebrities, including Lucille Ball, Gary Cooper, the Kennedys, Clint Eastwood.  Ernest Hemingway wrote most of FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS from Room 26 in the Sun Valley Lodge.  I am also a lover of any stories that features sisters and their relationships.  Readers are sending me a lot of emails telling me they are feeling the same about the characters in these books. Sisters is the first in the series with two more releasing in spring, 2018.

What is one of your favorite romantic locales?
Ha…..see above!  I adore Sun Valley!

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers? 
Please consider hanging out with me and my readers on Facebook in the GILBERT GIRLS.  Link on my website:


You can also find all my social media links and newsletter signup there!  Hope to see you all soon!   ~Kellie

Popular posts from this blog

Read 'Em & Eat-Mesquite Turkey Quesadillas

Moving On

Author Interview Monique McDonnell