Saturday, March 31, 2012

Writers Round Table

What is a “must-have” for a writer’s bookshelf?

C.R. Moss
I have a few… A good dictionary and thesaurus (for the basics); The Romance Writers’ Phrase Book The Millennium Phrase Book for Romance Writers (for creative inspiration); The Writer’s Journey (for story structure/inspiration)
Find C.R. Moss here: www.crmoss.net




Jannine Gallant: Sitting on my desk in all its tattered glory, is my thesaurus. The cover is missing, pages are loose, but I wouldn’t replace it for the world. It’s my faithful companion, a gift from a college friend years and years ago. When I’m staring at my keyboard, trying to find that perfect word, it always has the answer!

Find Jannine Gallant here: http://www.janninegallant.com/

Mariposa Cruz: I highly recommend Carol Lloyd’s Creating a Life Worth Living to anyone who aspires to life in the arts. Rather than advising people to quit their day jobs, Lloyd coaches on how to find a career supportive of a creative path and find a balance between inspiration and discipline. Far from a one-size-fits-all how-to-book, the workbook includes interviews with successful artists and provides goal mapping exercises for a variety of creative personalities. Are you a Project Nomad, Whirling Dervish, Monocled Monk or Tightrope Walker? Read Creating a Life Worth Living and find out.

8 comments:

  1. Ladies!

    Great post, though it's a bit tough to read with the black background. :o

    On my bookshelf is also the Romance Writer's Phrase Book, a dictionary (that I stole from our son--I mean he wasn't using it LOL), Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon and The Synonym Finder by J.I. Rodale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those phrase books sound interesting. I think we could all use a new way to describe a heaving bosom! LOL Thanks for having me today, Mariposa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my huge dictionaries-Scottish, English adn American! And although I use the internet for locations I also have a large and fairly detailed Atlas of the World sitting in my book basket on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda,
    It can be challenging finding ways to turn a phrase--great references for the bookshelf!

    Jannine & Chris,
    Insightful tips. Thanks for being part of the Round Table today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is also the Writer's Journey along with Goal, Motivation, Conflict.

    Thanks for the tips!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy,
    With all the variations between British, Scottish and American English, I imagine those dictionaries are valued references.

    Tara,
    Writer's Journey sounds like a great book. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot survive without The Describer's Dictionary, by David Grambs, Manuscript Makeover by Elizabeth Lyon, Flip Dictionary by by Barbara Anne Kipfer and, of course Webster's latest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynne,
    Editing is not as straightforward as a skill as it would seem--I'll have to check out Manuscript Makeover :).It looks like I'm going to have to expand my reference shelf.

    ReplyDelete